Re: Ball Joint

To: JRURHH@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ball Joint
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:04:04 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 JRURHH@aol.com wrote:

> Oh wise ones of the web, I need help. With the bad weather in Boston this
> weekend I decided to start my winter project early redoing  the front end.
> I've run into the first problem and need help. I can't seem to get the ball
> joint out. I have one of the fork like ball joint tools but no amount to
> hammering it will get it out. Any helpful hints?????

If you have a "small" "pickle fork", it should work. The problem with many
of the pickle forks out there is they are too big!

Here's another method -

take two 3 pound hammers. hold on against one side of the verticle link up
at the ball joint / link interface (e.g. backup the spot your going to
whack). using the other hammer, hit the link.

The ball joint fits into the link with a taper. If you "squeeze" the link,
the ball joint will pop out.

Note: safety first! You need to either compress the spring or remove the
verticle link from the car to do this. If there is any tension on the
spring, it is also on the ball joint and when the ball joint seperates it
will do so with the utmost urgency. SO - leave the ball joint lower nut
and washer loose but still in place when you pop the ball joint.

> Jim Robichau
> 74 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |