Re: Ball joint

To: <JRURHH@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Ball joint
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:38:41 -0000
Oh wise ones of the web, I need help. With the bad weather in Boston this
weekend I decided to start my winter project early redoing  the front end.
I've run into the first problem and need help. I can't seem to get the ball
joint out. I have one of the fork like ball joint tools but no amount to
hammering it will get it out. Any helpful hints?????

Rust on the ball joint taper is binding the joint to the housing. Put your
separator to one side and choose two heavy hammers. A lump hammer is ideal.
Hold the lump hammer against the housing as 'anvil' and give the opposite
side of the housing a smart smack with the second hammer. After two or three
of those - with some possible persuasion from the fork tool, the taper
should spring clear. Did this to  the track rod on my Fergie tractor three
weeks ago - except I brought one hammer into contact with the steering idler
too hard. Damned ball joint and three foot track rod flew out and hit me in
the ****s! This was enough to make me drop the lump hammer on my left big
toe - so the method certainly works!

Jonmac