Re: Trailing arms

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Trailing arms
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:15:37 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:

> Peter---I don't think it necessary to add Loctite to these studs. (I've
> never seen one come loose)

I have seen these studs fail under load. NOT PRETTY. To wit, Steve Toth
(the Yellow Bullet TR250) had a failure at a VTR autocross (VTR '97
National, Ft. Worth, TX). The resulting damage was pretty comprehensive.

Fortunately, the folks that _almost_ got hit by the tire/wheel combo were
able to get out of the way in time. The Taurus that acted as the backstop
did not fare so well.

Toth's car had about $3500 worth of damage, as I recall (frame, rear
fender, trailing arm and other stuff like the brake lines.)

It was Ugly with a capital U.

Regarding Mike M.'s comment and to clarify - Loctite the stud in the
housing, DON'T LOCTITE THE NUT TO THE STUD!! You don't _need_ the Loctite
for the stud, but you def. should lube the threads when you install the
studs. Loctite acts as a lubricant and then helps hold the stud in the
casting when you remove the axles. You should always use elastic stop
nuts to hold the hub to the trailing arm

I use steel threaded inserts in the trailing arms too!

> It IS a good idea to turn the inner bolt around, for the reasons that
> you mentioned.

I agree - it's a good idea, but it's not _necessary_.

> Dick

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |