Re: Trailing arms

To: Lizirbydavis@cs.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trailing arms
From: "Robert L. Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:23:05 -0500
My experience is as follows. The six studs that hold the shaft in place are
a problem. Some how British ingenuity has failed here. I found that when
reassembling the trailer arm that all the studs were stripped and would not
hold the mild torque needed on them. Apparently the use of fine thread into
the cast aluminum was overlooked and this is where a few dollars must be
spent. The use of a 5/16 course thread Heli-coil  is the answer here. Follow
the directions using a drill press  so that the old threads are drilled out
straight, not at an angle. Take your time when tapping new threads with the
tool provided in the kit. Then insert the coils and finish up with inserting
course thread studs with fine thread end extruding. A proper stud puller is
recommended, but the use of two correct nuts up against each other in
absence of the correct tool can be used. Just remember not to over tighten
them.
Robert L. Gannon
trsix74@comcast.net
TR6   1974 CF22956U