Re: Trailing arms

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Trailing arms
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:20:02 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:

> Bob---You wrote that you have seen all six of these studs "let go" on a
> wheel.  Were the trailing arm threads and their studs in good shape
> beforehand?

Well, let's just say that a normal tech inspection _should_ have
discovered the problem. I'm not casting blame - as we all know $#!^
happens.

> What type of "coating" did the factory use for these connections?

No idea. I'll bet they used a drop of oil or something. But the general
point is that the factory touched these babies 30 years ago. I don't know
about other cars out there, but I know my car has had these parts on and
off a _lot_ of times (probably at least 20 times per side over the 28
years of ownership). And _every time_ at least one stud unscrews for
whatever reason. It stands to reason statistically that all of the studs
will have likely been run out at least once in all those operations.

Steel in alley - galling.

> Do you believe that Loctite would have prevented the wheel loss?

In his case - NO. Careful inspection would probably have seen that the
threads were pulling out and it was time for helicoils or suitable
alternate.

But how many of us carefully inspect all this stuff everytime we take them
apart? I know that _I_ do now. I suggest that it is prudent to stay on top
of this item.

> Dick

regards,
rml
p.s. it's only been about two weeks since I last drove my TR6. I already
miss driving it! I'll be in hopeless shape by Spring. Lordy, lordy. :-)
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |