Re: 16x7 Panasport tire size recommendation

To: JDombey@dotcast.com
Subject: Re: 16x7 Panasport tire size recommendation
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:20:52 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 JDombey@dotcast.com wrote:

> Dave Friedlander wrote:
>
> > Listers;
> > Can anyone tell me if they know of brands of wheels available for the TR6,
> > Plus-one sized or not, that fit the offset requirements and other
> dimensions the
> > TR requires, OTHER THAN the Panasport or Mini-lite (replicas) now offered
> by the
> > Big Three? Moss' Winter 2002 issue of British Motoring shows a TR6 with an
> > interesting possibility on page 9 of the issue. Anyone know what wheels
> those
> > are?
> > Dave Friedlander
> > CF25194UO
>
> Rimmer Brothers sell a set of wheels from Revolution (you can see 'em at
> www.revousa.com <http://www.revousa.com>  - called traditional 5-spoke) that
> can be had in TR6-appropriate size & offset.  You can also buy them direct
> at the above website.  I've not seen them on a TR6, but I think they look
> pretty nice.  Anybody got a picture of them installed?

I have a set of Revolution 5-spokes on my race car. I can't find a good
picture that shows them up, but if you get no replies to your request,
ping me and see what I can turn up (it's kind of hard to shoot pictures of
your own car while you're driving it, but I do have a few pics of my
car!).

The ones I have are a bit different than the "traditional 5 spokes". The
ones I have are three piece wheels with a lot of positive offset. Frankly,
it's the only set I've ever seen on a TR6, in fact I bought them from a
guy who had originally bought them for his race prepped TVR 2500 (original
owner was Scott Witt from somewhere near Staunton, VA.)

But these are pretty good wheels. I will point out (however) that GRM
magazine used these 5-spoke wheels on the "Zero to Hero" VW Golf, and they
indicated problems with cracking. Hence, if you go this route and you want
to stay ahead of the maintenance curve, you need to add "check wheels for
cracks" to your list of to-do's.

Jumping back to the original question - what's wrong with Panasports?

> John Dombey
> CC29532U

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |