RE: TRF magic clutch kit

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TRF magic clutch kit
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:58:56 -0500
I think you did the right thing, but British Parts Northwest sells the
same kit much cheaper.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U

Listers:

All of you who have been following my "PI on 5 cylinders" saga will get
(rueful) smile out of this story.

Following Derek's excellent advice from the list, I fiddled with the
dribbling injector and then let the fuel pressure clear it out and bleed
out
the air.  Within seconds, it was spraying a beautiful mist of gas into
my
glass jar.  So I reinstalled it without replacing it and the car ran
like a
dream.  My fire extinguisher helper/14-year-old son hopped in and we
took a
10 minute ride together.  We were thrilled and brought it back into the
driveway.

Just before exchanging high-fives on our minor success, I brought the
car
(almost) to a stop and depressed the clutch.  No luck.  The clutch pedal
felt
normal, but the transmission didn't disconnect from the flywheel.  I
slammed
on the brakes before driving through the garage door and the car
stalled.  I
popped the lever into neutral, started it back up, but couldn't engage
any
gear because of a lack of clutch function.  No change after the car
cooled
down.

OK, this one I can't fix myself.  My mechanic suggested that it was a
throwout bearing, and told me to buy a new complete clutch kit for him
install later this week.  I have read Nelson Riedel's extensive clutch
section on the Buckeye Triumph website, and I mentioned to the mechanic
that
Nelson suggested replacing only broken or worn parts, but my mechanic
says
that he has replaced a very large number of TR6 clutches and has had the
best
success installing the entire kit.

I called TRF and spoke with John.  He recommended the "magic clutch" kit
with
the Toyota throwout bearing.  He said that both his customers and his
personal experience with this kit is better than with any other kit.  It
was
on sale, so I bought it and had it shipped to the shop.

Am I on the right track here?  The clutch seemed perfect until last
night.  I
do not know how old it is.  The trans was fully rebuilt in 1998 or so by
professional shop for the PO (I have actually spoken with that
mechanic), and
it shifted beautifully, so I suspect that the clutch dates from then.

I wish this were as simple (and cheap) as a clogged injector...

Thanks.

Michael Samuels
'70 TR6 PI  CP 5179 LP