RE: RE: TRF magic clutch kit

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RE: TRF magic clutch kit
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:36:48 -0500
Tim,

Thanks for the info,

Jim Swarthout

-----Original Message-----

The research has been done Jim.  Check out the Buckeye Triumphs
website.  Nelson Riedel, Dick Taylor, and some of the other listers did
a lot of work getting to the bottom of this problem.  It's got nothing
to do with how one drives the car or uses the clutch.  There was a huge
quality issue with the standard issue throwout bearings a few years
back (I went through several bearings in just one summer), which is why
TRF and others started selling the Toyota bearing instead.  However,
there may be issues with this one too - it works well (ie: doesn't
collapse like the regular grade replacement bearing), but doesn't spin
when unloaded, so it tends to eat through the clutch fingers.  The new
Gunst bearing and carrier seems to be the solution.

For those of you who have tons of miles on your clutch, that's because
you've got good quality parts, not because you drive your car better
than the rest of us.  I don't "ride" my clutch, but my car went through
several bearings in just a couple of months.  It was because of a poor
product.  We all know that replacement parts today are not of the right
quality many times (snycros, engine bearings, etc).  So when your good
quality clutches go eventually, you are going to have to be very
careful of what parts you use to replace them with.  In the meantime,
be glad you've got the good old parts!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6