remanufactured Lucas alternators

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: remanufactured Lucas alternators
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <Peter.Kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:17:16 -0500
Hey List,
On the heels of that alternator whining I'm experiencing at low RPM,
I've deduced that probably all of the bearing and slip ring hardware
could stand replacement. Now, I plan on undertaking this rebuild, but
started to nose around for a remanufactured unit, just for the halibut.
My local British car mechanic (who I go to as IN-frequently as possible,
no offense...) told me that in his business he has seen a notably higher
failure rate of the remanufactured units, at least since Lucas was
purchased by some outfit with GM ties.
Anyone care to comment on this? Tips for rebuilding? Suitable OEM
replacements (without any re-engineering, please).

Thanx in advance,

Pete
CF51563U, and running well despite the whiney alternator