Re: remanufactured Lucas alternators

To: "Kronberg, Peter" <Peter.Kronberg@hp.com>
Subject: Re: remanufactured Lucas alternators
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 11:58:01 -0700
Hi Pete,

I did this last year.  The rear bearing failed after only 31 years (!).  I
replaced the bearings OK, but the slip ring disintegrated when I tried to
put it back on.  I couldn't find a replacement and, not wanting to loose
weeks of the summer driving season, I installed a GM unit.  The lights are
much brighter now....   If you find a source for the slip ring, please let
me know.

FYI, My Lucas unit had been rebuilt by a local auto electrics place a few
times, but they clearly only replaced the front bearing and voltage
regulator.  The rear bearing and slip ring looked original.

Drop me a note if you have any questions/troubles.

Cregg
71 TR6  CC 63192