Re: windscreen and frame removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: windscreen and frame removal
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 14:18:47 +0000
Hi James,

Make sure to remove the two bolts under the dashboard.  They are the main
structural ones and less obvious that the three on top of the dash.  And at
the location of those nuts beneath the dash is also where corrosion adhesion
(or paint bonding) most often occurs. And it car be a bear if you have
corrosion there.

Of course there is non hardening glazing between the windshield frame and
the car body which can make things pretty sticky too. I carefully use a tiny
screwdriver to separe the existing rubber windscreen frame gasket from the
car body, working my way from one side to the other.  At that time I
actually remove some of the glazing.  Then, of course after making sure that
you have the three dash top bolts and the two below-dash nuts removed, I
gently rock the frame forward to back a very little while I pull up and back
(which is the direction that the main structural stays hold the frame into
the car).  And I pull up and back with some energy.

Is there anyone else out there that can send him a digital picture of the
stays of a removed frame?  I won't be near my spare parts for another week
or so.  If not, take a close look at the angle of the two windscreen frame
nuts beneath the dash.  That is the angle the windscreen frame needs to be
slid out.

Sometimes some force is needed but be careful to only administer it in the
correct direction.  I also found that removing the windshield before removal
of the frame aided in the process.  But if you aren't going to remove the
windshield, DON'T remove it from the frame, as it's a bear to replace it.

Good luck.
Sincerely,
Dave Herbert