TR6 1-HR "TERMINAL RIDES"

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 1-HR "TERMINAL RIDES"
From: Fred Dieterich <fdieterich@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 10:23:50 -0500
Since early spring I have been trying to eliminate the this problem with my
76TR6.  I drove all through the winter and last fall with no problems (even
a 600 mile trip from KC to Alabama).  But when spring hit...well, I drive
for about 30-45 minutes and it's as though I just "run out of gas."  I
replaced the fuel pump, inline filter, checked for crimps in the lines,
water in the gas (poured in a water inhibitor) and everything works fine
until the motor reaches and maintains a good running temperature.  Then, out
of nowhere, it's as if the gas was turned off!  And it happens consistently.
I have come home on a trailer 3-times in the last month only to find that it
starts great and runs and I can actually drive off the trailer and into the
garage, and even around the neighborhood a few times.  I can drive the 7
mile trip to work in the AM, on the way home in the afternoon, a mile or so
from home, the ride terminates and the AAA card comes out. Or, I can just
wait a few hours and come back and drive the car home.

My hunch is that there is no problem with the coil (although, I have not
replaced it).  And the gas is good, as well as the new points and condenser
I installed in the winter.  I do suspect the temperature compensator in the
ZS carbs.  Has anyone had similar problems?  Am I on the right course?  When
the car runs, it runs very well, so I don't suspect trash in the fuel lines
or float problems.  I get about 30 seconds warning prior to termination or
"fuel starvation."  I am really at a loss as to which way to turn.

Fred Dieterich
1976 TR6 BRG Survivor (CF51570-U)
1972 TR6 Signal Red Driver  (CC80349-U)
1967 TR4A IRS Blues Project (CTC76173-L)
http://www.tr-ific.com