Carb Tune High Idle Update

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb Tune High Idle Update
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 23:58:38 -0400
Hi List,
Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding a persistent high idle
while trying to tune my rebuilt carbs for the first time.  For all of you fans
that like happy endings you are in for a treat.  After several attempts, trying
this and retrying that the culprit was none other than the bypass valves.
Thanks Hugh you win the prize.(check is in the mail)  I know when I rebuilt the
carbs that I didnt change the internal settings, however I believe that because
the diagphrams were so old and cruddy that they were essentially closed
regardless of how they were supposed to work.  My bypass valves had the little
brass discs that sealed the screw.  Removed those and adjusted them all the way
tightly closed and presto, no more high idle.  I did manage to finish tuning
the carbs and on the test drive was very pleasantly surprised.  Nice power all
the way up through the gears and rpms.  Smooth, and no stalling when stopping.
One thing I did notice about the car is that there is no vacuum lines at all
from the distributor to the carbs.  What is the consensus of the list, do
others have the same setup?  Should I be trying to replace what is missing?  I
have a vacuum retard on the distributor, but no vacuum advance.
Thanks again,
Aaron