Re: Carb Tune High Idle Update

To: <Acekraut11@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb Tune High Idle Update
From: "Ken Davis" <ken.davis@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 21:16:05 -0700
Aaron,

 the vacuum hookup depends on the year of the car.  My 73 only has
the vacuum retard hookup.  the timing is set quite agressively, and
the vacumm retsrd pulls it back to 4 ATDC at idle, less vacuum, ie
more oopen throttle, letts the settings and centrifigal advance take
over.   yes, the bypass bites often; been there,  fixed that....

Ken

: Hi List,
: Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding a persistent
high idle while trying to tune my rebuilt carbs for the first time.
For all of you fans that like happy endings you are in for a treat.
After several attempts, trying this and retrying that the culprit
was none other than the bypass valves.  Thanks Hugh you win the
prize.(check is in the mail)  I know when I rebuilt the carbs that I
didnt change the internal settings, however I believe that because
the diagphrams were so old and cruddy that they were essentially
closed regardless of how they were supposed to work.  My bypass
valves had the little brass discs that sealed the screw.  Removed
those and adjusted them all the way tightly closed and presto, no
more high idle.  I did manage to finish tuning the carbs and on the
test drive was very pleasantly surprised.  Nice power all the way up
through the gears and rpms.  Smooth, and no stalling when stopping.
: One thing I did notice about the car is that there is no vacuum
lines at all from the distributor to the carbs.  What is the
consensus of the list, do others have the same setup?  Should I be
trying to replace what is missing?  I have a vacuum retard on the
distributor, but no vacuum advance.
: Thanks again,
: Aaron