Re: rear transmission seal

To: "Jay Snable" <jsnable@mac.com>, "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear transmission seal
From: "Mark Anderton" <andertonm@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 13:34:02 -0400
I, too, have had problems with this seal leaking and I'm pretty sure it's
the wear surface of the output flange that's the culprit.  I'm talking small
amounts of oil, but it drips right on the exhaust pipes and really stinks
the place up.  Last time I had the tranny cover off, I fabricated a small
aluminum drip pan that catches the oil and makes it run off to the side so
it doesn't hit the pipes.  Cheap, quick and effective and, like so many
things - it's only temporary ;)  All of which brings me to my point - After
years of struggling with old leaking Mercruiser outdrives, I found a source
for double lip seals that are a direct replacement for the originals, but
even on old, worn shafts, they seemed to seal like new.  Don't know who the
mfr was, but I think I will go off in search of one that will fit the
tranny.

Mark Anderton
72 TR6
Virginia Beach