RE: TR6 question

To: "Jeff M" <cajunairman@yahoo.com>, "Tarnow, Joshua"
Subject: RE: TR6 question
From: "Bill Elliott" <corvair@fnader.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 16:22:47 -0500
Josh's advice is very sound... buy the best car you can afford; it's cheaper in
the long run.

I'll go one further and say "buy a car that's in the condition that you can
live with and that's being used like
you intend to use it".  Meaning: if you want a daily driver car, buy a car
that's being used as a driver and is
cosmetically and mechanically acceptable to you.  People waste lots of money
buying a car _nicer_ than it
needs to be (I get more enjoyment out of a slightly shabby driver because I
drive it more and harder and
don't feel I have to be as careful with it...), but waste even more buying a
car that's "almost" a driver.... or
"just" needs paint and interior and chrome and.....

If you are going to do a 100% frame up resto, then it really doesn't matter
much what you start with... you'll
end up with the same $20k+ in resto costs.

It's also WELL worth paying the $500-1000 in shipping costs to get a rust-free
Western car versus the
average east coast car... the single biggest expense most of us face is
bodywork and rust repair....

I don't always practice what I preach, but don't let the heart rule the head.

Bill Elliott