Re: Accelerator shaft bushings

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Accelerator shaft bushings
From: "JEFFREY FETNER" <FETNERJ001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:58:41 +0600
Neil,
  I installed two TRF grey bushings a few weeks ago, and have no trick other
than brute force and perserverance.  I'm trying to forget the experience,
but here's how (I think) I did it.

- I pushed it in from the inside of the car
- The passenger side may be easier for right-handed people - start there
  -- You'll be using lots of oomph with a screwdriver to force the thing in
- Soften in large pot of extremely hot water
- Imagine the hole with 'clockface' or quadrant positions as you look at it
from the front
   -- 12 is top, 6 bottom, 3 is right or forward and 9 left or the edge
towards the rear of the car
- Squeeze the bushing into a sideways oval (longer at 3 and 9 o'clock)
   -- Yes, it will burn your fingers...
- Push the bushing groove's 3 o'clock end into the hole; thinner side goes
through the firewall
   -- Now you should have the front quarter of the thing installed
- While keeping the bushing pushed forward, slide a medium flat-blade
screwdriver into the rear
   (or 9 o'clock) groove; push forward to squash the bushing into a vertical
oval
- Keep squashing until you can push the rear thin lip of the bearing through
the firewall
   -- The top and bottom of the bushing will still be on the inside
- While holding it in place with your left hand, take a small screwdriver,
insert it into the bottom
   (6 o'clock) of the bushing grove and push up
   -- Push up until you can push in and force the thin bushing lip through
the firewall
- Now attack the upper part, pushing the thin bearing wall through with the
small screwdriver
   -- You'll have to do this a bit at a time; you can get to it from the
engine bay and use the small
   screwdriver to 'lip' the thin bush around the hole
- Repeat for the driver side
- I'm having bad flashbacks just writing this

   I left out all the times the screwdriver will slip and hit a finger, or
the bushing will squeeze itself back out of the hole.  This description
won't make much sense until you start the job.  It took me about an hour to
do both sides.   But it did get done.
   Oh yeah - getting the accelerator shaft back through the bushing is no
picnic either - remove the side carpet on the driver's side so you'll have
enough room to move the shaft fully to the left.  It still has to be forced
in at a severe upward angle.  Use the lubricant of your choice.

Good Luck!  Maybe those metal bushing kits aren't such a bad idea afterall.

Jeff Fetner
'74 CF13816U