Re: Warning-Bad Lifters

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Warning-Bad Lifters
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 20:57:07 -0400
Hi Bob,

I went with a new chilled cast iron billet cam rather than a regrind. My
understanding was that the chilled cast iron billet was harder and
deeper. My old lifters were still very good, according to the LBC
mechanics doing the engine (VanDeCarrs) -- only a few pits on a couple
of them, so I had them reground and hardness checked at Integral Cams.

Engine is not together yet -- thoughts?

Don Malling

Robert M. Lang wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Been there, done that.
 >
 > Twice.
 >
 > But I also have to stress the importance of initial cam break-in. Like I
 > keep saying this week, the first 20 min. of a cam's life will determine
 > whether it'll last or not.
 >
 > As an aside, it is possible to "see" internal engine damage by looking
 > closely at the oil or even going to the extreme of cutting open the oil
 > filter (if you have a spin-on adapter) and looking for metal particles.
 >
 > One solution to the "soft lifter problem" is to go to a completely
 > different source for lifters. Dave didn't mention this, but BFE can sell
 > you some lifters from some sort of Ford application (this mod requires
 > drilling out the lifter bores in the block) to a fatter lifter. Note:
this