Re: Outer Diff. Bearings question

To: slbridge@hotmail.com (steve bridge)
Subject: Re: Outer Diff. Bearings question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:08:51 -0700 (PDT)
Steve---Removing the axle flanges and the bearings on these shafts is
about the most difficult part of this rebuild.  I had to take my units
to a machine shop where they used -all- of their 20 ton hydraulic press
to separate them.  I had tried this at home using a torch and a one ton
press without success.

Others have used bottle jacks and a special rig with success.

I paid the $5 per side to have it done with the mega-press.

Note: If the seals weren't shot, I wouldn't have bothered with this, as
the bearings were smooth, silent, and passed the magnifying glass test.

 Dick