Re: brake issue

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake issue
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:42:03 -0800 (PST)
Andrew,

Start by bleeding the brakes - it sounds like you may have some air in
the lines.  Remember that when bleeding the brakes, you start at the
wheel furthest from the master cylinder (passenger rear) and move
progressively closer (driver rear, passenger front, driver front).
This will ensure that you have no air left in the lines.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like you need a m/c rebuild.  It's
possible that your m/c was rebuilt previously but maybe needed to be
honed out to get rid of some pitting, and possibly it was honed out too
much.  Unlike an engine, you can't get oversized parts for m/c's, so if
you do too much honing, you basically have an unusable m/c.  At that
point, you either get the m/c resleeved, or you buy a new m/c.  I think
currently it's more economical to just buy a new m/c (ie: resleeving
plus the cost of a rebuild kit is only barely cheaper than a new m/c),
but that was a discussion that took place several months ago on the
list, so maybe prices have changed by now.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://search.yahoo.com/top2003