Cold-Weather Starting

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cold-Weather Starting
From: Douglas Morris <dcmdcm@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:59:27 -0500
The main hazard in starting a TR-6's engine in cold weather is the high risk
of hypothermia. How can you possibly listen to that exhaust note and not
take her out for a spin? After all, your differential, steering gear,
shifter forks, wheel bearings, and right foot need exercise, too.

May I suggest <http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=61576>
NFI, just received one as a Christmas present. In combination with
motorcycling clothes (leather jacket, gauntlet gloves, scarf/turtle-neck),
and a functioning heater to keep one's ankles warm, the top stays down (I
heard it's not good for cold, stiff vinyl tops to be put up and down,
anyway). However, I can only vouch for this down to about 35-degF (that's
due to the possibility of ice, not to any failure of my cigar to stay lit).

And since there's not a cloud in the 41-degF sky right now, I'm off to put
on that last hunnert miles of the post-overhaul break-in period.
Brrrrrrap! Brrrrrrrap! Puff, puff. Sniffle, sniffle.

Doug Morris '74 TR6 CF18kUO, NC