RE: Cold weather starting

To: "'Josh Tarnow'" <jjtarnow@yahoo.com>, "'6pack'"
Subject: RE: Cold weather starting
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:19:12 -0800
Josh,

>From the standpoint of what/how to do, I would seal the engine up for
storage.  Remove the plugs squirt some oil in each cylinder and turn the
engine over, then replace the plugs, seal the intake and exhaust, and
let it sit for he winter.  It would be real hard to start the first time
in the spring, but It shouldn't rust internally while it sits either

Of course this is just my  $.02 worth

Steve

Subject: Cold weather starting

Long time no speak fellow 6ers! I have what could be construed as a
general winter question but would like to apply it to my 6. I live in
the NE and my 6 stays in my unheated garage all winter. Would it be wise
to periodically start it throughout the dormant winter months or would
it be best to NOT start the car in sub 40 degree weather if I don't have
to? I fully realize that I could wait for a rare 50 degree day to start
it up but if any of you either live or have been tuning in to how brutal
our weather has been (many sub 15 degree days with more than a handful
of single digit days) those are few and far between. I look forward to
hearing your thoughts and appreciate your time!

Josh
'76 TR6