Re: Off list messages

To: Rick <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Subject: Re: Off list messages
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:21:32 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Rick wrote:

> Just read Josh's thank you note about "Cold weather starting". He says he
> received 20 responses to his query. That's terrific and speaks volumes to
> the power of this list.
>
> On the other hand I counted only seven posted responses that were shared
> with the other list members! I for one would like to learn from them and
> perhaps not waste time sending a response if the question has already been
> answered. Don't get me wrong, I have not always shared my responses with
> list in the past but am making an effort to do so now. How about it? Can we
> share the knowledge?

Some lists develop "rules" about summary postings. That is to say that the
lists don't accept individual responses to messages. BUT it is the
responsibility of the party that initiated the dialog to summarize and
post to the list. The subject line needs to be clear [SUMMARY] or some
such.

Even without having enforcement (like a list admin. who disciplines folks
who don't play by the rules), it would be most courteous to post summaries
to the list from time to time. I Know that there are some queries sent to
the list to which the general list membership would be interested in the
answer(s).

To be honest, this is a part of Netiquette that gets bounced around quite
a lot on lists. Some folks take pretty strong stands one way or the other
about it too. I get quite a few "you're a windbag" (my words) type
messages sometimes. Oh well...

> Rick Patton

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |