RE: 3 leaky MCs in 3 years - Venting

To: Rick & Lori <trinitygadget@alltel.net>
Subject: RE: 3 leaky MCs in 3 years - Venting
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:59:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Rick & Lori wrote:

> Hey Rick . . . sorry to hear of the MC woes.  An excellent excuse to convert
> to silicone (TRF has the quarts on sale now).

Pardon me if I get serious for a moment...

NEVER, EVER be satisfied with a botched up repair to _ANY_ part of your
hydraulic system. If the thing is leaking, fix it or get it fixed. Period.

End of serious rant.

As for the DOT4 vs DOT5, I stick with DOT4 for a number of reasons, the
higher dry boiling point is one. But I can also recommend using a two-part
urethane type paint in the engine bay to thwart the possibility of the
paint peeling when fluid spills on it. It works fine on the race car, and
I change fluid frequently (with the predictable spills that go along with
2 AM garage sessions). No paint-peel in over 4 years of trying. :-)

To the original poster...  I had the same problem that you experienced
with the reserviuoir not sealing to the MC assembly. I too discovered that
the sealing o-rings were sized improperly. I have noticed that some kits
come with a thinner o-ring for that purpose. This happens to be a case
where it's worth paying the extra money to get the right parts. DON'T SHOP
ON PRICE ALONE.

> Rick Or
> 72 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |