3 leaky MCs in 3 years - Venting

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: 3 leaky MCs in 3 years - Venting
From: richard.r.olson@faa.gov
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:05:24 -0400
Since I last refurbished my '72 TR6 in 2001 (mostly cosmetics) I've had a
continual leak from the junction between the plastic resivoir and the brake
MC body.  First time, I just bought a rebuild kit and replaced the gaskets.

  A month later, I had DOT4 all over my new paint.  Sanded, primed and re
BC/CC the area under the servo.  Bought a new MC and it lasted for 3 months
before I found another puddle.  Leaking from the same location.  This was
not something you could predict, it might go 2 weeks and stay dry, then
during a drive, would almost empty the resivoir. (That's why switching to
DOT5 wasn't going to work for this problem.)  Never leaked anywhere except
at the gasket. Screws were tight as I dared make them, and braking was
always good.

Of course, there would be a lot of fluif[!] on the firewall and the paint
was bubbling again, so I went through the repaint procedure and bought yet
another MC (different source than the last one, but still Lucas/Girling).
This one went almost a full year before the leaking started.  So I resorted
to DT's suggestion of wrapping a towel around the offending area, which
worked well as long as I caught it and changed it before it could drip on
the paint.

So, finally, in desperation, I dug through my junk box and pulled out a 12
year old MC with a worn, yellowed resivoir and old gasket.  Installed same
two months ago, and so far, no leaks...

The only thing I noticed was that the old gasket was almost TWICE as thick
as all the new ones (not swollen, just really thick).

Sorry, I haven't seen this type of problem reported here and just had to
vent.

Later,
(the other) RickO /in digest mode/
Galloway, NJ