Re: Cam is broken in

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam is broken in
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 05:50:27 -0700 (PDT)
Richard,

I'm a bit concerned about your setting of the static timing to 24BTDC.
Hopefully this was just a typo.  This is quite a bit too advanced.  I
believe on a stock engine, the static timing spec is probably more
around 12 or 14 BTDC.  And it sounds to me like you may have souped up
your engine somewhat (triple carbs), so if you've increased your
compression ratio you probably want to retard the static timing back to
10BTDC or so.  If have 9.7ish compression with triple carbs, and run
with 10BTDC timing.  Be very careful that your timing is not too
advanced, you don't want detonation to blow that newly rebuilt engine!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6