RE: ANSA/Monza using Flowmaster

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ANSA/Monza using Flowmaster
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
Vance and Peter,

I just want to throw in my 2 cents here.  I agree with Peter that the
stock carbs are good for a lot of power, and that was proven in Kas's
work.  However, as someone who has had both dual and triple strombergs
on a warmed-up engine (GP3 cam, 1.65 roller rockers, 9.7:1,
ported/polished/cc'd, header), I feel that the triple does give more
power.  The duals felt very good with those mods, but the triples
seemed to give a bit more.  Now, I have no dyno tests to prove this,
but "seat of the pants" seems to show that the triple strombergs are a
benefit.   Richard Good has dyno-proven 170hp at the crank with triple
strombergs and the mods I have detailed above.  I would LOVE to see a
dyno test of the same engine with dual carbs, to see just how much
additional power the triples generate, but I don't know of anyone doing
so.

Also, 1hp per cubic inch seems a bit conservative in my opinion.
That's limiting you to about 150hp in the TR250/6.  My car with triple
strombergs was very reliable, idled smoothly, and put out 170hp.  I
think that with an EFI system (one day....), I could probably get
175-180 streetable, reliable horsepower.  That'll be a fun car!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6