Re: Hotwirng...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hotwirng...
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:35:14 -0700
Jim---As others have mentioned, sometimes it's possible to twist the
back half of this switch back into mesh with the front. Then hold it
together with another hand while turning the key. (I had mine taped
together this way for years before finally replacing it)!
Short of that, one can jumper from one of the Green fuses over to the
"plus" side of the coil and push-start the engine. The key will have to
be positioned to unlock the steering, of course, to drive.  Easier than
doing the other exercises?

Dick

6pack@autox.team.net Subject: TR6 Hotwire to get home
Our local Montgomery TR6 guru is out of town this weekend and my son's
car (73 TR6) is stuck someplace in Auburn. I would like to pick your
brains.
As he left church this morning and stuck the key into the ignition, the
back side of the ignition switch fell off - the plastic part with the
wires attached to it. The key is still in the steering lock portion of
the switch and it is unlocked. When he stuck a screwdriver into the
plastic part and turned, the starter would turn over, but the car
wouldn't start.
When I got home and looked in Dan McMaster's book, it appears that if he
will connect one of the brown wires and the white wire from the back of
the switch, that will power the coil. Are both brown wires hot all the
time? Then he needs to momentarily connect the white/red wire to a hot
source to turn over the starter. He could jump the leads at the solenoid
after he has the coil hot. Looks like nothing else will probably work if
he has to resort to hot wiring his car, but it will get it back to his
apartment and then home tomorrow.
Has anyone had to do this - see any problems with hot wiring in this
manner. The plastic portion of the switch and the wires are hanging down
and convenient to work with.
Thanks for any help!