RE: Volvo J type conversion

To: <jnorth@novagate.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Volvo J type conversion
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:24:31 -0700
John;

This past summer I put in an unknown year j-type with transmission in my
76 and found that the speedometer was reading about 15% too high.  Since
then it seems like the speedometer and the speedometer driving gear
inside the j-type are different between 73-74 and 75-76 model years,
according to catalogs.  I have an 8-tooth driving gear, and TRF listed
the AAU1096 gear as having 7 teeth on their online description.  The
difference is about 1% or so, so I figured I must have a unit out of the
earlier year. PS I have a 20 tooth pinion, which I understand is correct
and is unchanged for 73-76 years.

I contacted the big 3 about the driving gear and no one had it.  Charles
at TRF said this part hadnt been ordered by anyone in quite a while, but
he offered to look into it.  He called back and said he could get it
special order and it would take 2-3 weeks.  That was about two weeks
ago, so I don't know how long its really gonna take, but Charles sounded
fairly certain about it.  Anyway, its not $25 anymore, its more like
$60, but I still figured it would be about the same or less than the
alternatives (ie getting a used 73-74 speedo or having mine racalibrated
or getting a reducer).  So you may want to consider contacting TRF about
this gear if that's how you want to go.

But you got the Volvo j-type, which I think Vance has covered.  So if
you try and change the driving gear, the Volvo pinion wont work anyway.
In that case you would have to get a new pinion, sleeve, ferrule, and
retainer to match, which can be had from Quantum Mechanics, but it
probably gonna run about $100.

John Lumia

76 TR6