Re: windshield adventures

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: windshield adventures
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:53:38 -0800
Jim---I know it must be painful to not be able to do what the "pros" do
on your car. If so much stress had to be placed on the glass to get it
in, something must have been out of shape.
The glass cut wrong?
The rubber seal not bottomed out all around the windscreen frame?

The glass and seal as sold by Moss was a good fit, altho I did have to
send the first one back because of ragged edges (cracks waiting to
happen). A new seal liberally doused with Neatsfoot Oil did the
lubricating, and dries for a seal.

My wife helps me with jobs requiring more than two hands. This goes a
long way in avoiding any I-told-you-so's. 8^ {=

Dick

From: jimjcmo@yahoo.com(Jim Jones) Friends:
    I thought I'd share this experience I had trying to
reinstall my windshield. I had the rope in place in the rubber gasket
and lubed it with liquid dish detergent. No matter how we finessed the
positioning ,or how hard my assistants pressed on the glass while I
tugged the rope, the glass would NOT go in. I distinctly remember She
Who Must Be Obeyed, who was watching our thumb-fisted efforts saying,
"If you're not careful, you're gonna break the glass!" Now if you're
like me, that's not necessarily what you want to hear from someone who's
had more than a few unkind words about "that damned car". But something
inside me said, "She could be right!" Rats. I hate it when she's right.
    After several more tries I hoisted the white flag and called
an auto glass shop to come install it. And I'd cut my thumb on the
windshield frame flange. They came to install it today while I was at
work. Well they must have had a struggle, too, because the glass
shattered while they were trying to put it in! That's the bad news. The
good news is that their installer's insurance will buy a new windshield
for me! And it won't have any pits or scratches like my old glass had.
Now how 'bout that? I know if I'd kept fighting that glass on my own I
would've broken it, too, but I don't have installers insurance.
    The moral of the story, at least for a knothead like me, is
that there are some jobs were you'll come out ahead by hiring a
professional! I hope my experience saves somebody some $$ and
aggravation. There's more than enough of that as it is with these little
cars.
    The only downside is that I now have to endure the aura of
smug superiority emanating from She Who Must, who knows she was Right.
It'll pass in a few weeks, I reckon.
    Jim