Fw: windshield adventures

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: windshield adventures
From: "Andrew Packard" <apackard68@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:58:28 -0800
I must be one of the lucky ones.  I removed and replaced my windshield last
spring all alone in two tries.  I had done it once before on my TR4 in 1993.
The most difficult part was forcing Vaseline in the inside rubber channel
 prior to inseting my cord.  I like using solid core (not braided) phone
 wire.  It's small, strong and smooth.  I had to consult the manual to be
 reminded to start at the bottom (or was it the top?).  Which ever it was,
it
 made a big difference.  When I went the wrong way, the windshield kept
 wanting to kick out.  Doing it the right direction fed it in onto the lip
 just right with only a little coaxing.  I used a right-angled pick to make
 sure none of the seal was folded under.  After the install, I used the
black
 weather seal stuff on the two outside lips (windshield side and body frame
 side).  With an angle cut on the nozzle of the sealing material, I pryed up
 the rubber lip to "caulk" around the perimeter.  I wonder if the windshield
 that broke was not already damaged or if the frame was a little out of
shape
 to require so much force.  At least it was someone else who did it.
Andy
CD6746L