Engine Rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Rebuild
From: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:49:16 -0400
I have been having some coolant leaking issues on my project 76 TR6, and
have decided to rebuild the motor.  I will be rebuilding the head myself,
and am thinking about sending the shortblock off to be rebuilt due to lack
of experience.  The most internal engine work I've done has been with timing
chains, and camshafts.  I have never installed or removed pistons.  I would
like to know if there are any reccomended shops in the SE US (I live in
Central Florida) who have experience rebuilding TR6 engines.  I can probably
do some of the work my self, but I need the block decked and bored and would
like to get all of the crank work, and bearings installed professionally.  I
also would like to know if there are any sources available for engine parts
other than the big 3.  Since the motor is being rebuilt I would like to
increase the compression and install an aftermarket cam (and possible some
goodparts roller rockers) to make some more power.  How much lift can I go
with before I need aftermarket valve springs?  What is the best way to
increase the power on these motors?  As I already stated, I will have the
block decked about 0.020 to remove the fire rings.  Is this sufficient to
increase compression, or should I also mill the heads?  How much before I
need shorter pushrods?  Are there any links to some websites for TR6 engine
building?  I'm sorry for all of the questions, and I would like to thank
everyone in advance for the help!
Cary Henry