Re:Engine Rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Engine Rebuild
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:33:04 -0700
Cary---Your first step towards engine mods should be Kastner's book "The
Competition Preparation Manual" for the TR6. These are available from
any of the Big Three, and some other TR parts supply stores.

As long as you're having a machine shop do a rebore and a deck blocking,
I'd suggest having the bore recesses replaced. Great insurance from
blown head gaskets, and you can then still use the standard gasket for
your engine.

You may find it very satisfying to strip the engine down yourself.
Follow a good repair manual, step by step. Mark and tag everything. Take
pictures along the way, if you like. As you gain confidence, you may
even want to put things back together.

Dick

From:
caryhenry@hotmail.com(Cary Henry)

I have been having some coolant leaking issues on my project 76 TR6, and
have decided to rebuild the motor. I will be rebuilding the head myself,
and am thinking about sending the shortblock off to be rebuilt due to
lack of experience. The most internal engine work I've done has been
with timing chains, and camshafts. I have never installed or removed
pistons. I would like to know if there are any reccomended shops in the
SE US (I live in Central Florida) who have experience rebuilding TR6
engines. I can probably do some of the work my self, but I need the
block decked and bored and would like to get all of the crank work, and
bearings installed professionally. I also would like to know if there
are any sources available for engine parts other than the big 3. Since
the motor is being rebuilt I would like to increase the compression and
install an aftermarket cam (and possible some goodparts roller rockers)
to make some more power. How much lift can I go with before I need
aftermarket valve springs? What is the best way to increase the power on
these motors? As I already stated, I will have the block decked about
0.020 to remove the fire rings. Is this sufficient to increase
compression, or should I also mill the heads? How much before I need
shorter pushrods? Are there any links to some websites for TR6 engine
building? I'm sorry for all of the questions, and I would like to thank
everyone in advance for the help!
Cary Henry