Re: Boosting A Supercharger

To: Mitch Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Boosting A Supercharger
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:23:50 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I have a supercharger on my street car (don't laugh, Saturn Ion Redline -
0-60 in 6.1 seconds). The normal boost is 8 pounds. It uses a 3.25"
pulley. You can get a factory upgrade pulley that brings the boost upto 12
pounds. The net result (with bigger injectors and computer re-flash) goes
from 205 HP to 241. That upgrade pulley is still over 3", so if you start
messing with pulleys, don't go nuts. It's really easy to get up to 12
pounds or more of boost. And when you get there, the resulting cylinder
pressures are very big indeed. Way more than the bottom end can take. If
you're lucky, you hole a piston. If you're not lucky, you get to buy a new
engine block.

Nothing is "free", there's a cost for everything. The question is "how
fast do you want to go?" With a nitrided crank, Carillos, forged pistons
and a few other tricks, you can probably run 12 pounds of boost with some
reliability, but I'd def. look at engine management instead of carbs and a
Lucas dizzy. :-) Really - if you get into bigger boost, you have to look
at how you light the mix really closely.

Ever watch top fuel cars? They run big boost. They also shed valves and
other parts (including the blower itself) when they run into detonation
issues. They also rebuild the bottom end pertty much every 30 to 60
seconds or running. So keep the boost "sane" and don't make big changes
and try to get real boost numbers from wherever you get your pulleys e.g.
resulting in 8 lbs of boost - NOT 20% more boost.

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489