Re: [6pack] Alloy Cooling Radiators

To: John VanNorman <jsvannorman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Alloy Cooling Radiators
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:06:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, John VanNorman wrote:

> I just wanted to get the list's opinion on alloy cooling radiators.  I
> understand the basic pros (lower weight, better cooling), but in the
> past, based on the cost and the fact I don't plan on racing my TR,
> I've leaned towards just having my old radiator recored.  But the
> special price TRF is running has me at least reconsidering.  I don't
> know, would it still be a waste of money?  Would one work better with
> an electric fan?  Anything I should consider?

I have one of these for the race car. It's a very nice piece. Well
constructed and all that.

Is it a waste of money? If you need a radiator, it is probably overkill.
But you're getting what appears to be a very nice radiator for reasonable
money...

Regarding the fan - anyone on this list for more than a little while knows
that I'm a big advocate for dumping the crank-driven fan in favor of
electric. I'm modifying my radiator for an electric fan. So, you don't
need an electric fan, but there are benefits in having one.

> John V.
> 1974 1/2 TR6

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489