[6pack] Horn and Steering column

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Horn and Steering column
From: Grant Kester <gkester@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:54:23 -0700
Dear List,

I've got a strange problem (well, maybe not that strange given Lucas
electronics). When I turn the steering wheel my horn sounds. It was
intermittent at first but now it's pretty constant. It effects both
the left and right horns (I tried disconnecting each). If I even
shake the steering column, under the hood, I can hear a kind of
microphonic noise from the horns. I removed the horn honking
mechanism from the steering wheel entirely so I'm guessing this is a
short someplace? I don't know where to begin looking, and the wiring
to the horns goes through parts of the front end of the car that are
difficult to get access to. Has this happened to anyone else? Any
easy fixes or do I have to go through the wiring harness (yikes)?

Best,
Grant Kester