Re: [6pack] Horn and Steering column

To: gkester@ucsd.edu, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Horn and Steering column
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:59:42 EDT
Grant,
I will tell you exactly what it is and it is pretty easy to fix.  I  just
went through the same thing.  The part that is known as the "horn  brush", that
spring loaded piece, sits on a brass disk.  On the back of  that brass disc is
a little tab that has a wire soldered on it that runs down  the column.  That
little tab runs very close to a ridge on the inside of  the steering column.
As the bushes, etc. wear in the steering mechanism  that little tab get
perilously close to the ridge and as you turn the wheel you  put pressure on
the
wheel and push it the slightest amount out of center and the  tab touches.
That
is why the horn does not blow when the wheel just sits  at center with your
hand on it.  That is also why when you grab the column  under the bonnet and
shake it you can reproduce the toot.
Remove the steering wheel, horn brush, etc.  Pull that brass disc  toward
you.  You can't do that very much because the wire is soldered to  it, but you
can enough to see the little tab.  Bend the tab upward away  from the ridge
(not
too much) and reassemble.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L