Re: [6pack] Looking for SU Needles

To: osternd@copper.net (dmo)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Looking for SU Needles
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 00:54:58 -0700
 Dale O---Since you know you "went to rich" when shaving the needles,
there's a couple of things you can do to get the diameters correct at
the station(s) that are now too thin. Once you have identified these
stations, you can (temporarily) give them a thin coat or two of spray
can primer. This is more easily done when the needle is spinning in a
drill press. Once dry enough, you can then give the needle a polish job
with emery cloth, measuring as you go. If satisfied that the diameter is
correct, this "paint" can be replaced by tinning the area with solder.
This is trickier with spring-loaded needles, as a special setup to hold
the needle must be made, but is sounds like you've been down this road.

The manual on How to Power Tune SU Carbs, by Des Hammill, is good to
have for modifying needles.

Dick

Looking for SU Needles

I'm trying to do an SU HS6 conversion on my '76 TR6 and am in need of
some needles for modification. Wonder if anyone might have a set of used
ones that they would like to part with. Surface condition is not too
critical as they will be shaved down, but do need to be straight. They
also need to be the spring loaded type, 0.100". I modified a set of BDB
needles but went a tad too far and am running a bit richer than I would
like. For some reason, it seems to be easier to go richer than leaner!
The profile ended up being similar to a BCM needle, though richer. So,
anything leaner than BCM or similar should work.

Any help on the needles would be appreciated. Please contact me off
line.
TIA!
Dale O
osternd@copper.net