[6pack] Looking for SU Needles

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Looking for SU Needles
From: dmo <osternd@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:01:30 -0400
Wow - didn't expect this much response from requesting a couple of
needles, but thanks to everyone that responded and their advice.

I actually did try to get new needles that were very close to what I had
modified (which was my original plan), but got frustrated in trying to
explain what I was looking for and finding something that was available
(bit of a story there).  So, instead of the hassle of trying to find
needles that were available,  I felt it would be easier to get a used
set and modify them to what I really wanted.  Any scratches or wear
would be immaterial as I was changing them anyway.  Oddly enough, I find
it somewhat relaxing and a good change of pace from the day job
modifying the needles.  I think everyone should try it once -  (or not)!

I had a set of DCOE Webers at one time that I finally sold.  After
thinking about the cost of buying low speed and high speed jets, air
correction jets, emulsion tubes, etc, I realized it just wasn't worth it
for the street.  The wow factor is great, but did I mention I was
cheap?  "Kas" Kastner and Des Hammill seem to feel SUs are good carbs,
even compare them to Webers, and advocate modifying needles for modified
engines.  As far as modifying by solder/paint, not such a bad thing to
think "out of the box".  Granted, this is more for experimenting to find
the proper profile, and then buy something that is correct or modify
accordingly.  It's something I enjoy and am always trying to come up
with a better way to do something, and I enjoy the accomplishment of
doing it myself (and did I mention I was cheap?)  Not to mention, there
is not always a correct part for everything.

Thanks again

Dale O

Following in "Kas' " footsteps . . .