Re: [6pack] Looking for SU Needles

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Looking for SU Needles
From: dmo <osternd@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:00:28 -0400
Dick,

I haven't tried the paint approach - sounds like a good temporary
solution other than the possibility that the paint would be dissolved by
the fuel coming up through the jet?  Maybe use a fuel resistant
coating?  I did attempt to tin the needle with solder but not too
successful with that.  I got aggravated with that pretty quickly as it
didn't flow well and was "lumpy".  The needle may not have been clean
enough, but something about trying to heat a spinning needle with a
torch while flowing solder on it was a bit unnerving.  I can spend all
day sanding, measuring, testing (repeat if necessary) but didn't have
much patience for doing that!  So, I thought it would best to start over
and get it right.

I have the Des Hammill book (very good book, BTW), but I have not had
much luck with his approach to testing mixture and determining what
stations to modify.  I'm still working on a better solution for that.

Dale O