Re: [6pack] accelerating engine issue

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] accelerating engine issue
From: "John VanNorman" <jsvannorman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:57:23 -0400
Thanks for the quick feedback guys.  Sorry I didn't give more details
before.  Here's some more:

- All of the emission equipment remains (again, it is a 74 1/2).  I
believe all the equipment is in working order, but of course that
might not be the case, which could be causing the problem.

- The engine does fine once it has warmed up (i.e., the choke is
pushed back in).

- When I removed the vacuum advance hose, I just removed it (In other
words, I did not plug either the hose or the advance).

- The rpms start out normal, at about 900 rpms, then over about 45
seconds to a minute they are jumping up to around 5000 rpms.  The
engine is reving high enough that my wife came out into the garage and
asked if everything was okay (and she's heard TR6 engines for about
two years now).

- The line is still interrupted by the thermal vacuum switch (although
now I'm wondering if it is working).  Is there a good way to test a
thermal vacuum switch?

- Damper oil levels in the carbs are fine.  However, I need to pull
the tops off to see what condition the diaphragms are in.

Thanks guys

John V.