[6pack] Frame Rust Repairs

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Frame Rust Repairs
From: "Hunter, Darcy" <Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:13:02 -0500
The last items I have not addressed on my TR6 are the rear trailing arms
bushings and replacing my differential seals.  So, with the car in it's
storage position for the winter, I rolled up underneath and removed the
whole works except for the exhaust system.  I was pretty proud of myself as
it only took about 7 hours.  Probably an actually 3-4 hour job next time but
a lot of looking and scratching the first time.  Have several questions, one
a quickie and the other more subjective.

Easy one:  The parking brake cable has a square block that bolts through the
trailing arm.  The small stud on the block broke off.  What is suggested as
a way of repair without replacing the cable?

More subjective is regarding the rust I uncovered.  One trailing arm support
has small to moderate rust on the bottom side of the box beam.  Is the best
way to repair to just cut this out and replace with stock steel or are their
standard repair sections available that would make the work easier?

Also, the breastplate has moderate rust on both sides just beneath the inner
side of the frame rails, extending about halfway along the length of the
plate.  Should I just grind off the whole plate and get a new one to weld
on?  Can you properly weld this in place?  I did see on the RATCO site where
they bolted this plate in place.  Maybe this is a preferred approach but how
do you fasten the bolts without weakening the frame.  Maybe this is only
possible with RATCO frame modifications.  Thanks for the feedback.  Looking
forward to grinding and cutting on my back this weekend.

Darcy Hunter

'73 TR6

No. Easton, MA