Re: [6pack] Parts washers

To: "'John North'" <johncnorth@gmail.com>, "'Triumph 6 Pack'"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Parts washers
From: "Robert Liam Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:53:12 -0500
Anyone use one of these stand-up types with the flexible hose?
Normally I use a plastic bucket and kerosene, but I'm thinking about
buying something like this.

IMHO do not waste your money. How do I know? Silly question!!!
I bought one, assembled it and put simple green in it as I did not want the
fumes to be over powering and possibly flammable.

First, the simple green lifted the paint. Then the pump failed and corroded
and fell apart. I threw away the pump, went to clean out the simple green
only to cut myself on the lip that holds the tray. Then I find the base
rusting.

Since then, I use three five gallon buckets with carb cleaner which I filter
every so often. I have a system of three buckets. I put the part in the
first one to get the worst off. Soak it so I do less work. Then I go to the
second after rinsing the part off with brake cleaner. The second gets the
more off but it is not fighting the crap. The final one cleans the item so
with a final rinse I end up with a nice clean item. The three buckets have
their three levels of dirt and also strength to clean. When I get a fresh
gallon of carb cleaner I make that my final stage and recycle the dirtiest
at the local Pep Boys. I use heavy duty chemical resisting rubber gloves.
The buckets being plastic with snap on lids stay outside under my deck.

Robert L. Gannon
http://home.comcast.net/~trsix74/wsb/index.html