Re: [6pack] Tire sizes

To: "'Bob'" <rpeglow@optonline.net>, "'Six Pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Tire sizes
From: "Robert Liam Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:15:42 -0500
Bob wrote: I have older 185-15 tires on my car that should be replaced.
The car tracks perfectly straight on any road at any speed hands off no
problem.
That said, does the point made regarding changing to 205/70 tires mean they
might bring out a steering component problem.

In my experience, no. If all your components are in good shape, you should
not have any issues.
When I purchased my new set of 205/70's my suspension, as in bushings,
trunnions, etc. were old, worn and in need of exchange. Due to this all four
wheel had a negative camber in extreme. (Looked Hot) With the wider tires I
experienced rubbing on the inner walls against the wheel well. So I spent
money on new parts and more money on replacement tires. As I did not have a
shop do the mounting and alignment on the car when buying new tires, they
could not warn me of the hazards I was creating, nor were they liable.

(This is about the only time I will admit to doing something foolish;
normally it is always someone else's fault and generally the DPO. So put
this one in your scrapbook for posterity!)

Robert L. Gannon
http://home.comcast.net/~trsix74/wsb/index.html