Re: [6pack] Tire sizes

To: "Six Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Tire sizes
From: "Gary Fluke" <gary.fluke@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:35:29 -0800
Rick,

While it seems as though more rubber is better, to a point, I found the
comments of no less than John Surtees, World F1 Champion of 1964 driving a
Ferrari, to be very interesting.  A few years ago he drove and wrote about
several British sports cars for one of the major British classic cars
magazines, including the TR6.  He had lots to say about the difference
between a TR6 with stock tires and the somewhat wider tires on the subject
car.  If I remember correctly, he preferred the stock size tires, especially
regarding steering traits.  I wish I could tell what magazine it was in,
maybe someone else here can.  I'm not an expert on John Surtees, but I seem
to recall that he can be, or is, a first class fussbudget, for lack of a
better term that is not rude.

Regardless of the above, I run 205-70 Michelin X One tires on stock rims and
they look good and have performed well.

Gary
'73