Re: [6pack] Tire sizes

To: 'Sixpack' <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Tire sizes
From: im sloane <im_sloane@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:04:33 +0000
I can say from experience that a blow-out at 70mph, luckily on the rear, does
a real number on the rear fender. In my case I had run over a huge transistion
between road and bridge that busted the steel belts in both right side tires,
and about 50 miles later the rear one blew. Of course I didn't know before
because the little car is so bumpy and shakey anyway I hadn't really noticed,
or just tended to ignore the signs. Upon seeing the hidden damage to the front
right, I remembered that bridge that jarred my teeth.

Anyway, these were 13 year old red-lines, and I dumbly would still be running
them if that had not happened. And, yes that was more than 5-6 years ago. It's
hard to just throw away tires with only a few thousand miles on them. I need
to drive the thing more. I guess storing it inside in a warm basement may help
on the degradation somewhat.

Sloane :)
69-Six> From: grant@bowtie6.com> To: vance.navarrette@intel.com;
trsix74@comcast.net; rpeglow@optonline.net; 6pack@autox.team.net> Date: Mon,
25 Feb 2008 11:32:41 -0500> Subject: Re: [6pack] Tire sizes> > The 'life' of
tires has been discussed before. I have a very good friend of> mine who is a
tire designer for the big French tire manufacturer. He and I> have discussed
this issue at length, and running tires that have been> exposed to UV and the
elements for 5-6 years is 'asking' for it. There is a> degradation in the
rubber compound and grip is reduced as the tire ages with> heat cycles and
just exposure to elements.> > Something to keep in mind. Your mileage may
vary...> > Joe> '72 TR6 - CC77169> http://www.bowtie6.com/>