Re: [6pack] TR6 Crankshaft Question

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org (Bob Danielson)
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 Crankshaft Question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:54:03 -0800
Bob---The stock pilot bushing you should have
 is captured  in the flywheel counterbore. It should be the same as (my)
the '73. That being an OD of 1.000 and a bore of .500 and a depth of
(non-critical).450. These measurements are taken from the one removed
from my engine.
The bushing that Herman provides also has the 1.000 OD, but with a
different.590 bore. The pilot bushing OD should be .585.  There should
be room in the flywheel/crankshaft for  bushing depth of 900, which is
deep enough for Herman's (steel) input shaft adapter bushing length of
.850 to go with the (bronze) pilot bushing depth of .625.

The original pilot shaft bushing bore of .500 is confirmed by noting
that the "dummy" splined shaft alignment tool is .495. Your measurement
of .750 is non-standard for the late engine, as is the 1-3/8".

If Herman is going to make you a special bushing to match your
measurements, then I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Dick

6pack] TR6 Crankshaft Question

Folks,
Part of Herman's 5 Speed conversion kit includes a bronze pilot bushing
that goes into the hole on the end of the crankshaft on the flywheel
side. However, Herman's stock bushing doesn't fit my crank. We spoke
last night on the phone and I sent him a picture
(http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Crankshaft.htm) with measurements so he
can make me a new bushing. I know that there were 2 different
crankshafts for early vs late TR6's and it also looks like the Pilot
Bushing on the '70-'76 TR6 was in the flywheel and not in the
crankshaft. My Pilot Bushing is in the flywheel. TRF shows a short type
bushing ('70-'76) and a long type bushing ('68-'70). My engine block is
CF38133UE and I know the previous owner had the engine rebuilt a few
years before I bought the car but I have no idea what he put in the
block.
So does anyone have access to the end of their crank to take a few
measurements like I show in the picture at the link above? It would help
me and I know it would help Herman. I'd also be interested to know if
the Pilot Bushing is in the crank or the flywheel for your year TR6.
Thanks
Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection