Re: [6pack] Rear bulkhead panel

To: N197TR4@cs.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] Rear bulkhead panel
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:02:25 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 N197TR4@cs.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/27/2008 4:41:28 PM Central Standard Time,
> lang@isis.mit.edu writes:
>

>> The problem with using metal in that are is that the body twists
>> underloads and I've had to resort to steel rivets to hold the panel in
>> because the aluminum rivs kepts shearing off... you  know, chuck the car
>> into a corner and then a boing noise coming from behind you. Not exactly
>> confidence inspiring.
>>

> Wow Bobsta!   I have never heard any 'boings' in my 3/16" aluminum rivets.
> Maybe it is because of my roll cage design. I have two legs planted on each of
> my wheel well intrusions.

Well, I'm cheap. I used 1/8" aluminum rivets. I think the rationalle was
that I didn't want to add too much weight for the 20 ir so rivets. :-) I
think the shear rating for those pop-rivets is something like 100 pounds.
Steel fixed it. Then I put in a CAGE. No more flex! I think I could lift
the car via the cage. It is STOUT.

For my rear panel, I used .040 aluminum sheet which is pretty rigid. The
piece would have fit a lot nicer had it been pre bent to match the curve
of the rear- area. I'd def suggest something thinner like .032 or perhaps
a bit thinner and I'd def. recommend having the piece "curved" so you can
fit it without hacking up the paint.

> BTW, I had a TR250 follow me home. It has a roll bar that could be recycled
> into another TR4/TR250/TR6....if I can ever plow through the snow long enough
> to dismantle it.

VINTAGE RACER... VINTAGE RACER.

:-)

> Buried in Iowa   </HTML>

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489