Re: [6pack] Idle increases to 2000 rpm

To: John North <johncnorth@gmail.com>, Triumph 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Idle increases to 2000 rpm
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:22:10 -0700
        John:

        It is your deceleration bypass valves. Their function is to bypass the
butterfly valve during closed throttle deceleration. They improve mileage and
reduce emissions. They are too loose, and are opening under normal idle
vacuum, thus admitting more air and causing a high idle speed.
        To adjust them, see the Bentley manual for detailed instructions. Simply
stated, you use the adjustment screw on the radiator side of each carb. Start
and fully warm the engine, then let it idle normally. If it will not idle, you
close BOTH bypass valve by turning the adjusters counter clockwise to seat the
valves. Be gentle, no need to tighten them down, just turn until resistance is
felt.
        Now, if the car is still not idling, you must correct the idle speed
before
proceeding. One carb at a time, turn the adjuster clockwise until the idle
speed rises and remains steady. Then turn the adjuster counter clockwise ONE
FULL TURN past the point where the idle returns to normal. Repeat for the
second carb.

        This will correct your problem. Had this exact problem on my TR7 with
the
exact symptoms. If I waited long enough, the idle would eventually return to
normal.

        Cheers,

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette