Re: [6pack] Idle increases to 2000 rpm

To: Triumph 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Idle increases to 2000 rpm
From: John North <johncnorth@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:12:24 -0400
My valves are the non-adjustable type, no screw in the end.   Or at
least adjustment is a matter apparently of removing the valve and
adjusting internally with trial and error.   I happen to have another
set of carbs with adjustable valves awaiting rebuild.   Can I swap out
the valves from those?.

John North
1976 TR6

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Navarrette, Vance
<vance.navarrette@intel.com> wrote:
>        John:
>
>        It is your deceleration bypass valves. Their function is to bypass
the butterfly valve during closed throttle deceleration. They improve mileage
and reduce emissions. They are too loose, and are opening under normal idle
vacuum, thus admitting more air and causing a high idle speed.
>        To adjust them, see the Bentley manual for detailed instructions.
Simply stated, you use the adjustment screw on the radiator side of each carb.
Start and fully warm the engine, then let it idle normally. If it will not
idle, you close BOTH bypass valve by turning the adjusters counter clockwise
to seat the valves. Be gentle, no need to tighten them down, just turn until
resistance is felt.
>        Now, if the car is still not idling, you must correct the idle speed
before proceeding. One carb at a time, turn the adjuster clockwise until the
idle speed rises and remains steady. Then turn the adjuster counter clockwise
ONE FULL TURN past the point where the idle returns to normal. Repeat for the
second carb.

>        This will correct your problem. Had this exact problem on my TR7 with
the exact symptoms. If I waited long enough, the idle would eventually return
to normal.

>        Cheers,
>
>        Vance
>
>    Vance Navarrette